Pond Water Treatment
THE WATER PRIORITY
The billions of gallons of process water used in phosphorus fertilizer production needs to be safely managed, protecting against adverse weather, equipment failures, and long-term storage viability. Ostara provides a cost-effective solution that addresses the demands of managing pond water inventories and solids disposal, recovering phosphorus for reuse as a high value fertilizer, while producing water that meets exacting regulatory obligations.
From pre- to post-treatment, we set a new sustainable standard.
1. PROCESS WATER INFLUENT
Phosphogypsum ponds can contain up to 2 or 3 billion gallons of process water. Before it can be reused or discharged, the water must be treated to raise the pH levels and to address the dilute mixture of phosphoric, sulfuric, and fluosilicic acids.
FLUORIDE & SILICA REMOVAL
Ostara’s pre-treatment process significantly reduces the volume of sludge that requires handling.
3. NUTRIENT RECOVERY & CRYSTAL GREEN®
PHOSPHORUS & AMMONIA REMOVAL
Ostara’s proprietary Pearl® technology uses a fluidized bed crystallization reactor to precipitate phosphorus and ammonia from used water streams by adding magnesium.
The Ostara solution consistently produces water that exceeds regulatory requirements, suitable for re-use within the plant or discharged to receiving waters. A full-scale Ostara system would have a treatment capacity of up to 1,000 gpm.
- Proactively reduce pond water inventories
- Eliminate double liming closure costs
- Meet regulatory requirements for water discharge
- Reduce asset retirement obligations
- Recover P and N for reuse as a high-performing phosphate fertilizer
- Enhance corporate & social responsibility as nutrient stewards from source to field