WEFTEC 2014 Innovation: Ostara Technology Boosts Nutrient Recovery
Ostara announced the WASSTRIP (Waste-Activated Sludge Stripping to Recover Internal Phosphorus) process designed to boost nutrient recovery capacity in the company’s Pearl process while helping treatment plants that practice biological phosphorus removal to reduce biosolids production and improve digester performance. The process optimizes efficiency in bio-P plants by releasing phosphorus and magnesium before they reach the digester. The nutrients are diverted to the thickening liquor and combined with dewatering liquor so they can be recovered for reuse in the Pearl reactor, eliminating struvite buildup in the system. The company says the technology can:
- Reduce overall biosolids production by up to 20 percent.
- Increase cake solids content by up to 4 percent.
- Reduce total phosphorus in remaining biosolids by nearly 10 percent.
- Reduced water-soluble phosphorus in biosolids by 70 percent.
- Reduce dependence on coagulants and flocculants.
- Reduce struvite formation in digesters.
Read full article at www.tpomag.com